Friday, February 5, 2010

New Home DIY Project #1 Returns

You may recall that eons ago I shared how Dave and I received a nice dining set and china cabinet from his aunt and uncle. And you may also recall that we had selected fabric and planned on recovering the chairs. (More than likely, you do not recall any of this, as it was all back in May. Check out the post here for a reminder: New Home DIY Project #1.)

In any case, we did in fact recover the chairs.  So I thought it was about time I shared the pictures. :)



We also put the fabric in the back of the china cabinet:

(You can see what it used to look like here: New Home DIY Project #1.)

Recovering the chairs was actually a lot easier than I expected!  After getting the fabric, we scotch guarded it, ironed it, measured it, and cut it to size.  Then we removed the screws from underneath the chairs, pulled off the cushions, put the new fabric straight over the old fabric, stapled it on, then screwed the cushions back onto the chair frames.  It was inexpensive and easy.  Definitely a project I'd recommend. :)

We've performed quite a few additional New Home DIY Projects, and I'll be sharing them sometime in the near future.  (Well, ok, it will depend on how frequently I'm able to post about non-baby subjects after our son is born in a few weeks.  But I'll do my best. :) )

Hope everyone has a great weekend!


  1. Well, sadly, because I don't really have a life right children own me!!, especially that little baby...she owns my body too!, I do remember the chairs. =p Great job! My dad recovered the chairs at his house recently too, and it's so much better now. We definitely need to recover ours once the kids are older because they have spills and puke stains on them. I don't really like the whole plastic seat thing.

  2. It looks great! I'm impressed - I think I'd be a little scared to reupholster a chair!